[CAUT] ca more or less

Don pianotuna@yahoo.com
Wed, 5 Oct 2005 20:58:51 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Susan,

I find it hard to believe that too much CA glue can be
used. This is a repair that I often suggest my rural
clients do "all by themselves". Cost to them--the glue
and some labor. Cost to me? A boiler plated email and
the time to send it.

One family misinterpreted my directions and used 12
ounces of glue. I went in with fear and trepidation in
my heart--but the piano was *just fine*.

At 07:06 AM 10/5/2005 -0400, you wrote:
>Thanks, Les, that's very interesting. So, your spot
repairs on the old
>upright worked just fine (exactly my experience, spot
repairs on very
>old pinblocks), but turning the piano over and
flooding from the back
>of the pinblock didn't. What was the trouble on the
delignit? Didn't
>soak in? For that matter, why did a delignit pinblock
go bad? Certainly
>not an old block. Simple looseness, or do you think
there was delamination?

>The more I hear about and think about putting the CA
into an inverted
>pinblock, the less I like the idea. On pianotech, we
talked about the
>possibility of having a ring of CA form just past the
end of the tuning
>pin, preventing it from proceeding further into the
block if one wanted
>to tune it sharper. (I wonder if this is how the
"tight pins got looser"?
>That the pin couldn't proceed further into the
block.)

>When I picture how a loose pin is moving, I imagine
it being
>held reasonably well at the base, but flagpoling at
the top,
>pulled by the wire. If you think of a hole with a
tuning pin
>in it, being pulled by a high tension wire, don't you
think of the top
>of the hole enlarging more than the bottom? If so,
putting the glue
>into the bottom is probably a mistake. The pin itself
might keep the
>glue from migrating to the very top of the pinblock,
which is the part
>most likely to be egged out.
>
>Well, that's my mental picture of what's happening.
>
>In all the recent discussions about CA in pinblocks,
at least 40 or
>50 posts, I can't think of a single one (except mine,
maybe) which talked
>about the process by which people _decided_ to put as
much glue into
>the pinblock as possible. Has anyone TRIED using
less? If not, why not?
>Why did so many people start doing this procedure in
basically the
>same way, without considering whether it might be a
good way or not?
>When I hear of ounces and ounces poured on from the
rear, presumably
>because the block will trap more of it from that
direction, I wonder
>whether this is a semi-automatic conversion from the
old pin tightener
>days, when we'd treat all the pins, and get as much
in as possible.
>No one thought of the differences in the materials,
and the possibility
>that less CA might work better, and the issue that CA
in bulk is very
>toxic, and we're often using it in people's homes?
>
>sssssssnn

3004 Grant Rd, Regina, SK, S4S 5G7

http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

http://mail.yahoo.com