[CAUT] John Cage, "The Earth Shall Bear Again"

Jeff Olson jlolson@cal.net
Wed, 5 Oct 2005 18:36:24 -0700

Many "top musicians," having strong esthetic opinions, would also =
"discredit" various kinds of music.  There's no reason why we aren't =
entitled to our personal opinions, as long as they don't interfere with =
our professional capabilities.=20

Nothing remotely ludditic about not liking Cage.  Plenty of highly =
educated music professors I've worked with have expressed exactly that =
kind of contempt, and for excellent reason, imo.  Some people like =
modern music, but it has hardly won the day at universities;  nor does =
it represent any kind of musical advancement by which, in contrast, =
those who abjure it are somehow primitive or uneducated. =20

Jeff
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@aol.com=20
  To: caut@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 6:15 PM
  Subject: Re: [CAUT] John Cage, "The Earth Shall Bear Again"

  In a message dated 10/5/2005 2:18:04 P.M. Central Standard Time, =
dporritt@mail.smu.edu writes:
    Why would we discredit this music that has been accepted by many top =
musicians.  It makes us look like Luddites.  We certainly have the right =
to like it, or dislike it and we have a responsibility to try to protect =
the instruments but if a student wants to play it and the teacher =
encourages it I don=E2=80=99t think they look to us to be the =
musicologists.  As I=E2=80=99ve mentioned before it=E2=80=99s their job =
to play the music, and our job to repair the damage.

    =20

    dp

  Dave

  I agree that we should not judge the music. There are several types of =
music I don't care for, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the =
talent of the composer or the performer. (I don't like opera and Bartok =
string quartets). But in addition to repairing the damage, we should =
also do preventive education. I think what Jeff is trying to do is =
commendable. We should work with students and faculty to help them =
understand how to properly "prep" a piano, so as not to damage it.=20

  Wim=20

  Willem Blees RPT
  Piano Tuner/Technician
  School of Music