[CAUT] John Cage, "The Earth Shall Bear Again"

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 5 Oct 2005 21:15:58 EDT

=20
In a message dated 10/5/2005 2:18:04 P.M. Central Standard Time, =20
dporritt@mail.smu.edu writes:

Why would we discredit this music that has been  accepted by many top=20
musicians.  It makes us look like Luddites.  We  certainly have the right to=
 like it,=20
or dislike it and we have a  responsibility to try to protect the instrument=
s=20
but if a student wants to  play it and the teacher encourages it I don=E2=
=80=99t=20
think they look to us to be the  musicologists.  As I=E2=80=99ve mentioned b=
efore it=E2=80=99s=20
their job to play the  music, and our job to repair the damage.=20
dp

Dave
=20
I agree that we should not judge the music. There are several types of  musi=
c=20
I don't care for, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the talent of  th=
e=20
composer or the performer. (I don't like opera and Bartok string quartets).=20=
=20
But in addition to repairing the damage, we should also do preventive=20
education.  I think what Jeff is trying to do is commendable. We should work=
 with=20
students  and faculty to help them understand how to properly "prep" a piano=
, so=20
as not to  damage it.=20
=20
Wim =20