[CAUT] a bad habit AND Baldwin Desks

Tue, 04 Oct 2005 06:47:29 -0400

Regarding the original sin...leaving off the shipping rails, I should
remind Michelle that, whether she cares to acknowledge it or not, she
learned it from me, at Manhattan School.  I knew there was something I
should be feeling guilty about.

The other thing I think the rail does is to help keep the key frame rigid
when being lifted from both sides.  Maybe the flexation in the absence of
said rail could stress the action frame and / or the frame screws.

With regard to migrating desks, all it takes is one missing to start the
avalanche, as,I think, has already been pointed out.  I ended up using some
work-study students to survey all the grands using a form to note the type
(Baldwin, Steinway, etc.), in the case of Steinway, whether new or old
style, dimensions of both current desk AND "gap" distances, etc.  We
created a data base that showed which "wrong" desks belonged in which rooms
and made some replacements (simple but sturdy) for the truly missing.

Lastly, while you're doing all that repair of Baldwin desks, don't misplace
those brass hinge pieces.  While I've blanked on the exact price,
replacement cost, according to Thomas Malone, of Baldwin / Gibson, is
astronomical.

David Skolnik