[CAUT] a bad habit??

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Mon, 3 Oct 2005 11:21:03 -0500

The desks that fold forward (toward the player like Baldwins) tend to be
weaker.  The leverage on the hinge is tremendous when pressed back at
the top.  The old Conovers had a nice support that was a brass rod that
fit into a brass tube that would expand as the desk was laid flat, and
would compress to a stop point when the desk were open.  That gave some
support to the top where people push to try to keep a new book open.
I've contemplated trying to make some of those, but it'll never happen!
They were a good design though.

=20

dp

=20

David M. Porritt

dporritt@smu.edu

________________________________

From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Susan Kline
Sent: Monday, October 03, 2005 11:16 AM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: RE: [CAUT] a bad habit??

=20

At 10:57 AM 10/3/2005 -0400, Eric wrote:

We have a couple here with the brass plate adaptation. The folding part
already has a brass tube in it for the pin to rotate inside. When the
desk is punched, the whole end explodes&something has to give since
there is a lot of leverage there.=20

What I advise private customers is to support the desk from the back by
sliding a book or something between it and the lid, in the middle. I
suppose (being techs and all that ...) that we could glue a big block of
hammer felt to the case (or screw on a block of wood from inside the
case?) to support the flap; then we could watch it disappear or be
busted etc. later on ...=20

Susan