[CAUT] Funny Noises

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.ca
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 15:39:06 -0600

Funny NoisesBe it a"click" or a "tick" Ken?

I would look at the jack for "clicks," however, if it's a "tick," then as
Wim suggests, it may be the repetition spring slot:

Make a "J-shaped tool out of a wire-mute handle (Fred shared this in past),
or doubled-up heavy guage music wire so you can reach inside the slot
(dislodge the spring first) and clean the slot. (make the radius of the hook
so the tool "finds" the slot blindly)

>From my experience though, there doesn't need to be gunk in the slot to make
a "tick." The spring itself can wear a very tight rut, enough to catch on.

In this case, you want a tool that is rounded, smooth, and of larger
diameter than spring-wire. You will "burnish" the slot to renew a rounded,
friendlier path for the spring.

bon chance!
Mark Cramer
Brandon University

  -----Original Message-----
  From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf Of Ken
Zahringer
  Sent: Monday, January 24, 2005 2:02 PM
  To: College and University Technicians
  Subject: [CAUT] Funny Noises

  Hello, all,

  I’m working on a Steinway D here and it has some clicks in it that are
stubbornly resisting my best efforts to eliminate them.  This is a 1970
vintage piano that has some level of action rebuild done in 1993 (before my
time).  Some of this work wasn’t done particularly well, so over semester
break I put new Renner shanks & flanges and Ronsen hammers on it.  It turned
out very nice, but there are five notes in the low treble that click when
played.  It initially sounded like the click happens at hammer impact, but I
think it might be triggered by the end of keystroke.  The click seems to be
in the wippen, since when I pull the action and lift the hammer out of the
way, I still get a click, but if I hold the wippen up and strike the key, I
get no click.  It doesn’t appear to be jack top hitting anything, but I can’
t find the source of the noise.  This is particularly frustrating because I’
m usually pretty good at diagnosing this sort of thing.  I’m getting this
piano ready for a concert this Friday, so I’m beginning to be a little
anxious.  Any experience, ideas, or wild speculations out there?

  Ken Z.
  --
  Ken Zahringer, RPT
  Piano Technician