[CAUT] Funny Noises

Richard Murphy rmurphy@siue.edu
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 14:39:57 -0600

on 1/24/05 14:01, Ken Zahringer at ZahringerK@missouri.edu wrote:

Hello, all,

I=B9m working on a Steinway D here and it has some clicks in it that are
stubbornly resisting my best efforts to eliminate them.  This is a 1970
vintage piano that has some level of action rebuild done in 1993 (before my
time).  Some of this work wasn=B9t done particularly well, so over semester
break I put new Renner shanks & flanges and Ronsen hammers on it.  It turne=
out very nice, but there are five notes in the low treble that click when
played.  It initially sounded like the click happens at hammer impact, but =
think it might be triggered by the end of keystroke.  The click seems to be
in the wippen, since when I pull the action and lift the hammer out of the
way, I still get a click, but if I hold the wippen up and strike the key, I
get no click.  It doesn=B9t appear to be jack top hitting anything, but I
can=B9t find the source of the noise.  This is particularly frustrating
because I=B9m usually pretty good at diagnosing this sort of thing.  I=B9m
getting this piano ready for a concert this Friday, so I=B9m beginning to be =
little anxious.  Any experience, ideas, or wild speculations out there?

Ken Z.

Hi Ken,
   Have you checked the capstans to make sure they are not loose in the key=
?
Or the back check wire is loose maybe?