[CAUT] 2 D's revisited.

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 12:29:24 -0600

Wim:

=20

It's possible that when this piano was selected it was indeed the best
one there.  I've had that happen.  A wonderful pianist picked out the
best one there, but compared with real pianos it was a dog.  It stayed
on our concert stage for 7 years before it got a retirement party.  It's
now in a studio. =20

=20

This brings up one of the caveats that I mention to anyone going to
select a piano.  Most of the time they are concert artists who make the
selections.  I see two problems with this.  1]  Unless they are
technically sophisticated or have excellent baloney detectors, they
don't know what can be done with problems.  If they notice a dead killer
octave, a salesman will say that "that's just a minor voicing problem.
We'll take care of that before it's shipped out."  NOT!  2]  Their
routine in their professional life requires them to choose pianos all
the time.  When they do a concert they frequently have their choice of 2
or 3 pianos.  The fact is, they have to choose the best one, or the
least bad one, but they have to choose one to do the program.  There is
the tendency to do that in selecting a new one also, where a better
choice might be to wait for something better rather than choose the
least-bad piano. =20

=20

dave

=20