[CAUT] Gradually improving voicing

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 10:36:34 -0700

On 1/11/05 9:11 AM, "Wimblees@aol.com" <Wimblees@aol.com> wrote:

>> It might not be as much as an issue of actually doing something about it=
, but
>> when we're dealing with many different pianists, it is hard to adapt one
>> instrument to the different demands of the many. It's one thing to work =
with
>> one pianist and his/her piano. But to try to change touch or tone to eve=
ry
>> pianist who comes along might do the piano more harm than good. I am not=
>> pianists, but perhaps that is one reason, as you pointed out, the experi=
enced
>> players will adapt, rather than demand the piano be changed to their nee=
ds.
>> =20
>> Wim=20

Hi Wim,
    Yes, quite true. For instance, I do not voice my (I consider them mine)
concert instruments down to the point of really pleasing the =B3ham-handed=B2
folks who really want me to =B3take all the ugly out.=B2 I=B9ll do it to their
private instrument (with much inner gnashing of teeth), but on the shared
concert instrument I=B9ll do the minimum reversible surface work needed to
=B3make them a bit happier.=B2 Same with regulation. It=B9s good to have some
quick fix solutions up one=B9s sleeve for these purposes, like a very thin
strip of felt under the backs of the keys (under back rail felt if possible=
,
but it can lie reliably on top as well) to reduce key dip and hammer blow =AD
fairly noticeable change with little time involved.
    But if I start to hear comments and rumors that the piano is too damned
bright from multiple sources, not necessarily face to face, I=B9ll definitely
take it seriously. Or I often hear something in a concert that no one has
ever said anything about. Over the years, one gets a sense of where the
middle ground lies =AD where you will come closest to pleasing the majority.
You won=B9t learn where that is unless you listen  to as much commentary as
you can get, directly or indirectly. I have received some of the most usefu=
feedback from the oddest and most unexpected sources.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico