[CAUT] Gradually improving voicing

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 11:11:23 EST

In a message dated 1/11/05 9:17:15 A.M. Central Standard Time,
fssturm@unm.edu writes:

Yes,  absolutely true. As much as we like to think of most pianists  as
hypochondriacs who don't know what the heck they are talking about (it's  a
natural defensive response to maintain our own sanity and self-esteem),  I
find that most pianists I work with only complain when they have a  real
issue. They may not articulate it well, or in a way that I can  readily
understand, but there is some truth there somewhere. For that  matter, I may
decide that what they want is "bad for the piano" (ie, will  make it
unacceptable to the majority of others) and decline to do it, or at  any rate
to go as far in a direction as they would like.
But I think the best policy is to take any criticism, even an off-hand
one,  seriously, and to assume that a large number of pianists are "too
polite"  to tell us what they really think. As hard as it is on the ego of
the  technician, one might well assume they think you aren't competent to do
a  better job, so they don't complain for fear you might make it  worse.

It might not be as much as an issue of actually doing something about it,
but when we're dealing with many different pianists, it is hard to adapt one
instrument to the different demands of the many. It's one thing to work with one
 pianist and his/her piano. But to try to change touch or tone to every
pianist  who comes along might do the piano more harm than good. I am not a
pianists, but perhaps that is one reason, as you pointed out, the experienced
players will adapt, rather than demand the piano be changed to their  needs.

Wim