[CAUT] Gradually improving voicing

Jim Busby jim_busby@byu.edu
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 10:30:44 -0700

David,

I've had that same experience with Eric and it was partly the duplex
("noise") that seemed to make the difference. At the bench "yuck", but
several feet away it sounded great. I've since been made more aware of
the duplex sound after working with Vince. His tunings and prep work
rival any I've ever heard and he's very aware of the duplex and how it
should sound. Some techs even mute off the duplex to make it sound
"good" at the bench but it ends up less than desirable in the hall. I
thought I'd mention that because I don't think anyone has yet.

Regards,

Jim Busby BYU

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
David Love
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 9:44 AM
To: 'College and University Technicians'
Subject: RE: [CAUT] Gradually improving voicing

As I mentioned, I was joking on that line.  But I don't see it as such a
conundrum.  Only when one starts talking extremes, as this discussion
has gotten to.  For the most part, a concert stage instrument will need
to sound more brilliant at the bench than it would otherwise in order to
carry the hall.  That doesn't mean that the piano needs to sound awful,
excessively loud or crashy--but it might.  It should still be even and
balanced, of course, and the pianist should feel as though they can
control it.  But in order to achieve brilliance in the hall when it is
needed, the piano will probably need to deliver more at the bench than
you would ordinarily want if the pianist were the only one listening.  A
piano used for concerto work will require even more
brilliance/loudness/attack (whatever you want to call it) to cut through
the orchestra.  Experienced concert pianists generally know this,
inexperienced ones often don't.

David Anderson made mention of a situation recently in which he had the
opportunity to hear a piano at a convention prepared by Eric Schandall.
In the hall, the piano sounded truly beautiful, when he later had the
opportunity to hear the piano at the bench, it was a different and not
so pleasing instrument.  I would say that's typical.  If the piano
sounded at the bench as it did in the hall, it may very well have been
dead for the audience.

Which ever route you decide to go--prepare for the bench or for the
hall-- the differences are an important consideration.

Using a microphone on the piano is, of course, another option that no
one seems to want to consider.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net