[CAUT] Fwd: recycled Lumber

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 20:58:13 EST

In a message dated 1/5/2005 1:57:18 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
Wimblees@aol.com writes:
 Wim writes

Ah, the  fun factor. Well, if you like that kind of thing, I guess it could
be  considerd fun. It might be fun to do one or two, but after the fifth  or
sixth piano, I would venture to guess it would start to get a little less  fun,
especially if your back hurts.
  > Aye , & that's why you have youngn's  do it. Besides I'd have all the
lumber I'd need for many years after the 6th  one.

Although the soundboard and back post material might be worth  $300, what
about the case parts, and other usable wood? It might be worth some  money to
some people, but unless you have a ready market for all this stuff,  that will
buy anything you have the minute it is available, you start looking  at storage,
and inventory, not to mention the added expense of insure your  shop, or
home. This dried out wood is very flamable.
  Well Wim the whole point is if you need some  very expensive maple or
spruce You can get it for the cost of a few hours time.  When I consider the time
I've spent chasing down fine supplies of Lumber that  get's plenty expensive
too, Or buying expensive wood & throwing half away  cause it's unusable. Hey,
People give these things to me as they do to  you.
  See, you missed the part where I said I was  looking at from a re-builders
point of view not starting a recycling piano parts  web site. Hmm not a bad
ideas though.

I was looking at it not only for the wood, but the caster,  screws, hingers,
etc. This would open your market to more than just piano  technicians. But
again, the storage and inventory control problems started to  raise their heads.
 Again not my goal

I'm not syaing recylcing a few piano, mostly for the fun of it,  and for
making a few bucks, is not worth it. But I just don't see making it a  full time
venture.
   No offense Wim but Again I didn't say  that either----you did or assumned
it.
  Cheers anyway