[CAUT] Without tipping it (the piano, not the waiter..)

Ken Zahringer ZahringerK@missouri.edu
Thu, 28 Apr 2005 13:49:38 -0500

Hey, Michelle,

I've done this a few times (midwestern winters and their discontents, you
know) and there are two basic procedures I have used.

My preferred repair is to take the tension off the bass strings, remove the
screw holding the apron to the soundboard, tip the piano on its back, take
the bass strings off the hitch pins, and remove the entire bridge/apron
assembly.  Then drill pilot holes through the apron into the bridge and glue
& screw the two together, screws going through the apron and into the
bridge.  Then glue & screw the apron back onto the soundboard, usually using
longer screws than original so they actually penetrate the apron.  Sometimes
you have to drill  an access hole through a back post to get at a screw.
That's always fun. :-)  I can usually get this done in a couple of hours,
then pull the bass strings back up to pitch and tune.  BTW, I also remove
the bottom board and pedal stretcher.  This gives much better access and
makes the job go much quicker.

If the apron is still securely attached to the soundboard, then you can just
glue the bridge back onto the apron.  If there is good downbearing, I have
had success using the strings as the clamp.  Take the strings off the hitch
pins, scrape the old glue off, and put the bridge back in place (with glue).
When you put the strings back on work from both sides to the middle.  This
minimizes the tendency for the bridge to move around while you're getting
the strings back on.  Pull them up close to full tension as you go, for
better clamping.  Work fast.  You can tune right away.

If there isn't good, or any, downbearing, you have to clamp.  The only thing
I have found that works is screws.  If the bridge is wide enough, you can
drill and countersink a hole through the bridge, and screw the bridge to the
apron.  Make sure you countersink deep enough to get the screw head out of
the way.  Otherwise use even longer, roundhead screws and "sandwich" the
bridge between a piece of 3/4" plywood and the apron.  Screw run through the
plywood, through the bridge, and into the apron.  Leave it clamped for an
hour or so at least, overnight is better, then replace the strings and tune.

BTW, depending on how the particular piano is put together, I still
sometimes find it quicker and easier to tip it and remove the bottom board
and pedal stretcher even when using option #2.  It just depends on what you
can get to easily.

Hope this helps.  I'm moving kind of fast today, so if anything doesn't make
sense, holler and I'll try again.

Ken Z.

--
Ken Zahringer, RPT