[CAUT] Without tipping it (the piano, not the waiter..)

Christopher Purdy purdy@ohio.edu
Thu, 28 Apr 2005 14:38:29 -0400

I have never had much luck getting a clamp in there.  If you can that
would be great but you would have to let it sit while the glue dries.
What I have done in the past is to counter sink wood screws through the
top of the bridge and glue the big fella back on.  I paint the screw
head black and just leave the screws in.  You could take them back out
after the glue dries and plug the hole with wood if you want a better
looking job.  The great thing about this repair is you don't waste any
time waiting for glue to dry.  Just glue it, screw it, and put the
strings back on.  In addition to Joe's suggestion about a wire to keep
the bass strings in order, it's a good idea to remove the action so
that you don't booger up the dampers when you remove the strings.

If you don't have a piano tilter it's a great thing to have at times
like this.  I used mine just last week to repair a busted caster
socket.

Chris

On Apr 28, 2005, at 1:46 PM, michelle stranges wrote:

> Hello folks..
>
> Quick question here..
>
> Last night I went to the local high school I take care of, and my
> Kawai UST-8's (which NEVER STAY IN TUNE) have personal problems like
> crazy. (I cannot stand these pianos- sorry Don Mannino!!)      :(
>
> Long story short..
>
> The bass bridge (the WHOLE THING) is becoming unglued from the apron.
> I'm not even sure if the apron itself isn't losing it.. I dont think
> so.
> You should hear the almost dead, stinky ferret gurgling it's last
> breath when I play the bass notes.
>
> There's a fantastic "Solo Fest" they are having this next Tuesday and
> they need all the pianos tuned there.
>
> OK.
>
> This thing is SO BAD- I can't even postpone repair until a later time.
> It just cannot be used.
>
> What I was thinking to do was to remove all the bass strings and
> either yellow glue it with clamps of some kind (??) or use some epoxy.
> Time is the biggest factor here.
>
> What suggestions would you folks have (other than blowing it up and
> saying "What piano????") to get this done quick WITHOUT TIPPING IT
> OVER for repair.
>
> Thanx in advance,
> Michelle

Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.