[CAUT] pitch under the lights

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 09:59:01 -0500

Hi-

I just caught some the last comments - and good advise as usual. Maybe I
misunderstood, and don't mean to split hairs even though that's what we
do so well.....:),  but it's been my experience in the short term before
a concert that stage lights will warm up the plate first before anything
else which actually raises pitch more in the mid range as the metal
expands. It takes longer for the wood to react.  This has just been my
feeling on the matter, and may mention something about that to stage
hands or players if possible, or just stretch a little extra in dubious
cases.  Generally, we do not have the spots on until just before the
show, and during warm up.

For whatever it is worth, sometimes it seems that I come out with an
opinion that some experienced techs don't agree with.  That's cool. If
this happens please feel welcome to go with it.  Not a big deal, that's
partly why we're here anyway.

take care,

dennis.
St. Olaf College