[CAUT] pitch under the lights

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 20:44:17 -0500

MessageDon,

Thanks, for your advice.  That's how I'll do it.  This is my first =
season here and so far, the set ups and uses have all been different--so =
I've been learning how the piano reacts (no complaints *yet*-- thanks to =
the head's up I got in Guy Nichol's class in Nashville).  At my last =
gig, lighting wasn't an issue.  Oh, for those days!

There's no problem getting the piano pre-heated.  But since it's not =
first on the program and will be closed up and sitting off stage for a =
while, I wondered how the lag time would affect it.

Barbara Richmond

PS  How long does it take a hot piano to go back up in pitch?  (Not a =
joke, just a question.)
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Don Mannino=20
  To: College and University Technicians=20
  Sent: Monday, April 25, 2005 6:41 PM
  Subject: RE: [CAUT] pitch under the lights

  Barbara,

  Hopefully you know the hall and piano well enough to have a good idea =
of how it goes out - the tenor is the most variable in the majority of =
pianos I have worked with.

  If you can get the hall to put the lights on for an hour (with the =
piano on stage and open) before your first tuning, that is ideal.  =
Otherwise, I would tune it about 1hz (~4c) sharp when cool (not cold), =
then talk to the stage manager and tell them you need to touch up the =
tuning with the piano in place and the lights on after rehearsal.  If =
the stage manager balks at this, be firm - let him/her know that it is =
quite necessary.

  On the 'hot' touch up, pay special attention to the octaves below the =
temperament and into the bass, and work the unisons of course.

  Don Mannino RPT