[CAUT] more on notching

Stan Kroeker stan@pianoexperts.mb.ca
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 15:13:06 -0500

Alan,

You're right ... chipping, while cutting the notch, is an occasional
annoyance that is usually fixable with a hand file.  However, I recently
swapped my tired old straight-flute for a spiral-flute bit.  Does the
old expression ... 'like a warm knife through butter' bring about a
welcome image?  Try it ... these bits aren't that expensive and are
simply perfect for this application.

BTW David, in the entire keytopping procedure, the hand file does not
make an appearance until the final 20 minutes or so.  It is used only to
take the sharp edges off the machine-trimmed plastic.

Best,

Stan