[CAUT] Replacing plastic flange on spinet wippen

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 22:49:56 EDT

In a message dated 4/15/2005 8:13:16 PM Central Standard Time,
jlolson@cal.net writes:

Seriously, I was on the spot, since the person and I had a  long-standing
friendship, so I was willing to go the extra mile without  adequate
compensation. Normally, I'd go "the whole thing needs wood parts  and it will
cost you not only an arm and a leg but possibly another  valuable
protuberance/appendage as well" route, but it wasn't really an  option this
time.

Jeff

Friends or not, you're still the professional, who needs to be compensated
fairly for the work you do. Since it is a friend, I think it would have been
even easier to level with him/her,and say that the piano is in serious trouble.
 Being a friend, I am sure he/she would have trusted you.

There is only one way to replace a wippen flange, and that is to remove the
action. If it means removing the keys as well, so be it. You can't look at
this  repair as a 5 minute job just to replace the flange. It is a 45 - 60 minute
 repair, to remove the action, etc. Do you think a mechanic is only going to
charge you 5 minutes of work to replace a ring on a piston, when he has to
remove the head, etc.

I still like Otto's way better, though. I wonder if he could send a
recording of the repaired piano being voiced.

Wim