[CAUT] CA for loose pins on a "D"?

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 22:41:45 EDT

In a message dated 4/15/2005 9:21:39 PM Central Standard Time,
741662027@theshusters.org writes:

I've been studying piano technology for ten years, on and  off (I've passed
the RPT written exam), and have been tuning professionally  for a year and a
half.  I've applied to North Bennet St. for this  fall.

I was just asked to take care of an S&S D for a local  community college.
It's 1917 vintage (played by Rachmaninoff at one  time!), and rebuilt by
Steinway about ten years ago.  It's suffering from  humidity damage: 8" crack in the
soundboard behind and under the treble bridge  and elsewhere, false beats in
the low tenor (loose bridge pins?), and loose  tuning pins in the bass.  One or
two are so loose I was tempted to mute  them, for fear they wouldn't survive
a concert.

Of the needed repairs, the only one's I'm qualified to do  are to CA the
loose pins, which I've done successfully three times  previously.  I'll happily do
this on someone's no-name, 100-year-old,  4'8" neonatal grand with rusty
strings, but I want to ask for advice before  doing anything irreversible to an
instrument of this caliber.  I can do  the repair without side effects, I'm sure
(I pull the action and use copious  amounts of plastic tarps), but still...

Is the right thing to do to simply write up a report and say  that it needs a
new pinblock, bridge cap, and at least epoxy in the  soundboard cracks?  Or
let Steinway re-evaluate it?  Is it better to  pull the loose pins and shim
with sandpaper or veneer rather than risking  CA?  Will Steinway scoff if they
get a CA'd pinblock to  replace?

Side note: it has a disassembled DC system...  sigh...

--Cy Shuster--
Bluefield, WV

Cy

My suggestion would be to write a report about the condition of the piano.
Make it matter of fact report. In other words, do not place blame on anyone  or
anything. You should also state that you are making some stop gap  repairs to
keep the piano going.

Use whatever method you're comfortable with. CA glue is a good start.  Since
it is an older piano, that has been partially rebuilt, at this point,  I
wouldn't worry about what the boys at the Steinway factory are going to  think
about you. You did your best just to keep the piano going.

Wim
Willem Blees,  RPT
Piano Technician
School of Music