[CAUT] Replacing plastic flange on spinet wippen

Jeff Olson jlolson@cal.net
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 22:13:08 -0700

Wim:

"There is only one way to replace a wippen flange, and that is to remove =
the action. If it means removing the keys as well, so be it. You can't =
look at this repair as a 5 minute job just to replace the flange. It is =
a 45 - 60 minute repair, to remove the action, etc. Do you think a =
mechanic is only going to charge you 5 minutes of work to replace a ring =
on a piston, when he has to remove the head, etc."

Removing the action would almost certainly have damaged other plastic =
parts, especially the damper flanges, where in my experience even the =
slightest -- and quite inevitable -- nudge causes them to splinter.  =
Then you get into one of those Sisyphus rock situations, when you =
replace the action -- and more parts break, thus necessitating action =
removal, ad infinitum....

Anyway, not to belabor the obvious, but since I did manage to replace =
the wippen flange without removing the action (and have done it before), =
it is in fact possible to do.

I just wouldn't recommend it to anyone wishing to retain his or her full =
measure of sanity (or to the faint of heart ;-).

Best,

JeffO