[CAUT] Replacing plastic flange on spinet wippen

Jeff Olson jlolson@cal.net
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 18:12:36 -0700

Phil:

"I'm going to gracefully disagree. As much as I do not like working on
spinets, this particular job/repair has yielded me personally some good
return on my time. I admit I do not enjoy sitting under a keybed for
hrs. at a time shattering the remainders and replacing with the Acrylic
elbows, but I price it to a point where the client either does all of
them or call someone else. Most Lester Spinet owners I have encountered
love their piano..there's some sort of sentimental value placed with
them with most of these owners."

First,  Phil, I'm not sure why you would classify your disagreement as
"graceful." I mean, certainly it's quite straightforward, but where's the
gracefulness of it? Have I missed an elegant pirouetting of your
words/sentences or something? :-)

Seriously, I was on the spot, since the person and I had a long-standing
friendship, so I was willing to go the extra mile without adequate
compensation. Normally, I'd go "the whole thing needs wood parts and it will
cost you not only an arm and a leg but possibly another valuable
protuberance/appendage as well" route, but it wasn't really an option this
time.

I'd done this once before, when I was younger and more foolish, and it took
me about forty minutes of straddling the bottom of the piano as I
strenuously removed the old screw, positioned the wippen, and reinserted
screw with short ratcheting screwdriver.

That's how I did it this time, too, except it was more difficult being on
the bass end. I loosened action, titled it back, ended up pulling back
dampers for clearance, and then spent 30 - 40 minutes screwing with it until
climactic success was achieved.

One poster seemed to think I was talking about plastic elbows. That would've
required about ten seconds and change, and certainly not a post to
commemorate it ;-).

Best,

JeffO