[CAUT] Pricing of upright versus grand hammer installation

Ken Zahringer ZahringerK@missouri.edu
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:02:16 -0500

Jeff,

I don't know what kind of hammers you're using, but the short answer to why
the holes are small is either because you don't specify otherwise, or the
supplier doesn't allow you to specify otherwise.

I like Ronsen hammers, for a variety of reasons, and I can get them bored to
fit whatever shanks I use.  Other manufacturers  will provide the same
service (I'm pretty sure Renner does), as well as supply houses.  I know
Pianotek will, and I think Pacific will, too.  Once you add in the cost of
the additional prep work, the price difference goes away, in my experience,
often to the point that the "more expensive" hammers are actually cheaper.

If your supplier loses enough business because they won't bore to specs,
they'll have to wake up, eventually.

Touchweight changes with new hammers has always been and will always be an
issue.  That's why I take David Stanwood's classes every chance I get.  And
others, too; I know he's not the only one working on that problem.

Ken Z.

--
Ken Zahringer, RPT
Piano Technician