[CAUT] Pricing of upright versus grand hammer installation

Jeff Olson jlolson@cal.net
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 08:30:46 -0700

Thanks for the input on the hammer installation question, everyone. I agree
with one poster, who wrote it's too complex of an occasion to answer simply.

For me, the main difference between grand and upright hammer hanging is the
generally greater prep and post work needed in my experience for grand
hammers. The stock American grand hammers, which I often use for more
moderate quality baby grands, are drilled with tiny holes that require
either being enlarged or the shanks dramatically reduced, or some
combination thereof (can someone explain why stock American grand hammers
come with such tiny holes, when virtually all grand shanks are thicker than
upright shanks, and American stock upright hammers come with larger diameter
holes?)

Another problem for grands in my experience is the affect on the action that
hammers of slightly different weight cause (I rarely notice it on uprights,
perhaps because such installations are generally performed on large uprights
with longer keys), so hammer-tail shaping, key-weighting, or action
adjustments often seem necessary to make the grand action work decently.

But perhaps part of the problem is due to the grand hammers I often use
(though I've had the same weight problem with more expensive grand hammers
also).

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions --

JeffO