[CAUT] Pricing of upright versus grand hammer installation

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 09:37:22 -0400

Jeff-

In my experience, it almost always takes longer to do approximately
equivalent work on uprights.
Just to remove hammers, shanks and butts also involves installing the
action in a cradle, pulling the bridle tapes, probably removing the hammer
rest rail, and finally digging for the screws in the action.  Etc., etc.

I recently did an extensive rebuild of an old upright, new springs, new
cushions, new butts shanks and hammers, new damper levers.  I'm not in a
hurry to repeat the job.

Plus, a dismantled upright action takes 2-3 times more storage space than a
grand.

Is this the kind of answer you were looking for? Hope it helps.

Ed Sutton