[CAUT] Pricing of upright versus grand hammer installation

Mary Smith marysmith@mail.utexas.edu
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 08:20:19 -0500

Hi,

Yea, I think Wim's on the right track here. Newton Hunt's "Guide" lists
jobs by the number of hours it takes to perform each (approximately). My
standard pricing procedure is to take my cost for the parts and multiply
that by 40% to the customer. I then calculate the number of hours it takes
me to do a certain job (I used to use "The Guide" a lot before I had done
many of the listed jobs). Multiply that by my hourly rate, add it together
with the cost for parts, and send in the bid. Ain't math wonderful? Oh, I
also often "pad" the estimate by 10% or so to provide for unforeseen
problems. After all, an estimate is an ESTIMATE, not the bottom line.

Mary