[CAUT] Pricing of upright versus grand hammer installation

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Sun, 10 Apr 2005 11:28:54 -0600

On 4/9/05 8:30 PM, "Jim" <jim@pianoguy.com> wrote:

> Why not get the PTG to investigate and report factually on how the A-T
> legislation does relate to
> our profession.

Amen!! We rely on a generic legal opinion developed for professional
organizations - an opinion which may be valid for doctors, cpa's, lawyers
and the like, as their professional organizations have almost all
practitioners as members (thus are virtual monopolies) and are directly
involved in certifications which are commonly required by law (you can't
practice law without passing the bar exam, which is created and administered
by the ABA, for instance).
    But the situation of PTG is SO different from these organizations that I
don't believe we need have the least bit of worry with respect to anti-trust
laws, regardless of decades of paranoia and commonly held belief. We are
such a marginal profession, we probably don't even comprise a majority of
those "practicing the profession (loosely defined)," and our one
certification has no legal standing. How in the world can we "restrain
trade?" (even if we weren't such a bunch of individualists, and could come
to some sort of agreement as to prices).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico