[CAUT] back duplex

llafargue llafargue@charter.net
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 07:58:46 -0600

From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of Ed
Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 9:43 AM
To: College and University Technicians; caut@ptg.org
Subject: RE: [CAUT] back duplex

Lance-
How does the piano sound now?
Ed S.

----- Original Message -----
From: llafargue <mailto:llafargue@charter.net>
To: caut@ptg.org
Sent: 11/17/2004 9:28:39 AM
Subject: [CAUT] back duplex

I was recently called out to a 7' grand with a buzz.  Names and brand
will be withheld to reduce my stress level.  It turned out to be the
back duplex.  There was so little bearing at the aliquot that the
strings could be moved back and fourth with a finger nail.  After much
searching, I finally found, (and a local tech who works on these a lot
suggested/confirmed) that when the humidity went up, the strings
touching the aliquot were raised enough to buzz (at center of piano,
around F3).  I called the factory and the tech said, sounds like a
bearing problem, plate position problem, etc.  Send it back! , we'll
send another.  I did.  Then, when the 2nd piano came in, it had the same
bearing problem, so I stopped, did not prep, just called the factory.
The dealer then called a second tech out who threaded a strip of felt
through the back duplex to prevent any ringing at all.  What effect does
this have on the sound, etc.  I figure, if it was designed to ring, it
should.  Was this a good solution and an ethical handling of the
customer, who paid around $28,000?  Thanks.

Lance Lafargue, RPT
LAFARGUE PIANOS
New Orleans Chapter, PTG
985.72P.IANO