[CAUT] back duplex

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:42:30 -0500

Lance-
How does the piano sound now?
Ed S.

----- Original Message -----
From: llafargue
To: caut@ptg.org
Sent: 11/17/2004 9:28:39 AM
Subject: [CAUT] back duplex

I was recently called out to a 7’ grand with a buzz.  Names and brand will be withheld to reduce my stress level.  It turned out to be the back duplex.  There was so little bearing at the aliquot that the strings could be moved back and fourth with a finger nail.  After much searching, I finally found, (and a local tech who works on these a lot suggested/confirmed) that when the humidity went up, the strings touching the aliquot were raised enough to buzz (at center of piano, around F3).  I called the factory and the tech said, sounds like a bearing problem, plate position problem, etc.  Send it back, we’ll send another.  I did.  Then, when the 2nd piano came in, it had the same bearing problem, so I stopped, did not prep, just called the factory.  The dealer then called a second tech out who threaded a strip of felt through the back duplex to prevent any ringing at all.  What effect does this have on the sound, etc.  I figure, if it was designed to ring, it should.  Was this a good solution and an ethical handling of the customer, who paid around $28,000?  Thanks.

Lance Lafargue, RPT
LAFARGUE PIANOS
New Orleans Chapter, PTG
985.72P.IANO