pay raises wasRe: [CAUT] job opening

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 14:03:05 -0500

Hi Wim,

On Wednesday, November 3, 2004, at 03:20 PM, Wimblees@aol.com wrote:

> The UT job starts at $31,000. Similar positions at other universities=20=

> have advertised similar pay scales. I was fortunate to start a little=20=

> higher. But other than pay raises at the whim of the Board of=20
> Directors of the university, I don't see me getting anything else in=20=

> the way of a pay raise.

As you and I have discussed, I looked into the position you are in when=20=

it was opened, and had several email exchanges with the then head of=20
the music dept.  The previous salary band for your position topped out=20=

at something like $27K at the time.  The only way they could improve=20
the salary was to make your position an unclassified position, and pull=20=

in additional revenue from a community group which uses your=20
facilities/pianos.  We have had similar, not exactly the same, but=20
similar instances of unequal pay raises for unclassified positions.  A=20=

couple of years ago, when classified salaries were frozen by the state,=20=

the university was somehow able to generate additional revenue for=20
faculty pay raises.  As you might expect, some got higher percentages=20
than others here in the school of music. Some got virtually none.

Regarding the hourly salary, I imagine most other places do it similar=20=

to the way it is done here.  I am salaried/hourly.  I fill out a time=20
card, but don't punch a time clock.  The main purpose of the time card=20=

is for recording hours in order to calculate leave time accruals, and=20
the like, not necessarily tied to what my pay check will  be next week.=20=

  In answer to Scott, we are not allowed overtime pay here.  If we work=20=

more than 40 hours in a week, we simply have to take comp time.

But I agree with Fred that I believe the hourly compensation is the way=20=

we should be paid.  Your time is protected.  We preach about getting=20
paid for your time in the private sector, and it should be no different=20=

here.

> This has been brought up before on this list. Are there any of you=20
> that have received pay raises for doing a good job, or as a change in=20=

> your status?

As a classified employee, there is no such thing as a change in status=20=

unless you can manage to get your position reclassified, as Fred=20
discussed.  We're trying to do that here (unfortunately, it's been=20
stuck in a desk drawer, awaiting time to look at it more closely),=20
adding language which more accurately reflects that the piano=20
technician, being the only person in the system who knows anything=20
about piano maintenance, is actually the decision maker in regards to=20
what needs to be done, rather than simply a technical repairer who=20
takes all orders from a supervisor.  This is more in line with what we=20=

actually do, and I encourage every one of you to look at your job=20
description and consider revising it to more accurately reflect your=20
responsibility level.  I guarantee you that your position is lumped=20
into a classification with other skilled crafts in which there is=20
someone else in the system who gives them orders.  Our job doesn't fit=20=

that category.  Revising your job description to reflect that you are=20
the decision maker should catapult you into a higher classification.

> =A0
> Most=A0jobs at a university, from janitors to professors, have a =
chance=20
> for advancement. But once a piano tuner gets hired, there is no place=20=

> to go.

This is because the piano technician is incorrectly classified in human=20=

resources.

>  Is this something the CAUT guidelines should address?

I personally think the section in the guidelines which does address=20
compensation, does so in an appropriate manner.  However, university=20
human resources departments are not using the method we propose there. =20=

They look to other universities to see what is being paid for similar=20
positions elsewhere, despite the fact that full time CAUT=20
positions/incomes represent a fraction of one percent of all piano=20
technicians nationwide.

I believe this economic affairs committee survey could go a long way to=20=

assisting CAUTs with salary issues, IF the questions regarding income=20
are worded in such a way to be able to provide accurate comparison with=20=

private sector incomes.

I did find something interesting on the monster.com web site.  This is=20=

apparently the perception that human resources personnel have of our=20
profession:

Keyboard Instrument Repairer and Tuner (Arts and Entertainment)
Inspects, repairs, and rebuilds instruments. Tunes and plays instrument=20=

to determine necessary adjustments. May require a high school diploma=20
or its equivalent and 2-4 years of experience in the field or in a=20
related area. Has knowledge of standard concepts, practices, and=20
procedures within a particular field. Relies on limited experience and=20=

judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Performs a variety of tasks.=20
Works under general supervision; typically reports to a supervisor or=20
manager.

Do what?  "Relies on limited experience and judgment to plan and=20
accomplish goals?"  "Works under general supervision; typically reports=20=

to a supervisor or manager?" (99% plus are self-employed)

Interestingly, the only income data they had was a range of something=20
like $21K to $26K.  Makes this profession look really inviting to the=20
next generation of piano technicians we've been talking about training,=20=

doesn't it?

Jeff

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available