pay raises wasRe: [CAUT] job opening

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Wed, 03 Nov 2004 20:40:12 -0700

Hi Wim,
	In a state university system, there are usually a bunch of hoops in place
when you are after a pay raise. At my U, we tend to have a set percentage
("cost of living" or the like) that pretty much everyone gets (unless
there's a freeze that year), with a bit of money left over to provide
flexibility for  "merit" increases. These have to be triggered by superior
ratings in the annual performance review. I have received over the maximum
merit increase a couple times, due to successful lobbying, which included
documentation of salaries at "peer institutions."
	If your pay grade is limited, and you reach or near the maximum pay scale
within it, you're pretty much stuck unless the job is "eliminated and
re-classified." My brother-in-law, who is in an entirely different line of
work in a different department, went through such a process once. He had to
re-apply for the job, and they had to go through a regular hiring process
(meaning he risked losing the job), but he ended up with a much more
lucrative position.
	In the area of piano tech, a similar reclassification might easily be
possible, depending how the job is currently described. The higher grade
jobs tend to have fancier sounding responsibilities. Management of
employees is the most automatic, but being in charge of purchase of new
instruments, vending of contract rebuilding, or just an accurate
description of what pretty much all of us do (in terms of assessing the
inventory and making most or all the decisions) can easily lead to a person
from human resources saying "that deserves a grade 15 instead of just a 10"
or the like. A job description that just covers mechanical/technical work
tends to receive a lower grade. (When I first got them to convert my
position from contract to employed, human resources looked at the
description and set it at a grade that paid from $7.50 - $12.50/hr. Funny
thing: nobody applied. After some nudging, they reclassified to a grade
that went from something like $13 - $27/hr).
	Bottom line - you have to learn and work with the system. Keep track of
what you do and blow your own horn (we do an annual self-evaluation, which
is the basis for the administrator's evaluation). Note and document what
extra responsibility you have taken on, what additional training
opportunities you have sought out and taken advantage of, what you have
done within your professional organization. Pad that resume. Make friends
and influence people <g>.
	I make an hourly wage. At first I thought I'd rather be on salary, but I
soon realized that the hourly system is better, at least from my point of
view. It means you are actually protected by the FLSA (Federal Labor
Standards Act - I think that's right), meaning entitlement to overtime, and
various other guidelines. It might not matter, assuming you have a good
relationship with your department, but chairs and administrators do change,
usually more often than piano technicians, so there's no guarantee a good
relationship will last.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico