[CAUT] RE: pay raises

Scott Thile scott.thile@murraystate.edu
Wed, 3 Nov 2004 16:28:02 -0600

Hello all,

I've received three nice raises well above cost of living in the ten years
I've been here. It was a huge blessing. I started in here with a lower than
average salary, but it's decent now. It's still tough to make ends meet on
just that, but I also make more than some of the tenure track faculty that
have been here a few years and only a little less than some of the tenured
faculty that have been here much longer than me...

Our situation here is a lot like Chris Purdy mentioned in his post in terms
of how raises are handled. I also received a big bump when they were worried
they might loose me one year. That was nice....

Raises above the cost of living will happen if they love you, and they're
worried they could loose you. It might help to press the point by applying
for other positions that pay better, but thankfully I didn't have to do that
here. Lately, the climate in most states is not conducive to pressing too
hard...

In this country none of us have to work for less than we think we are worth.
If we do, that's our decision (but sometimes the desire to eat offsets our
pride ;)

The top end on the UT job is not bad at all, but I was surprised to see it
was an hourly rate to start, although some weeks here, working by the hour
with overtime pay might be kind of nice! I'm on salary, and I think that's
more common. My position is considered professional staff, which is handled
more like a faculty position in terms of expectations and compensation.

I don't think addressing this in the guidelines is appropriate. Salary
information is very helpful to have, but I think that info should be handled
separately in terms of knowing the bench mark salaries for CAUT positions at
the various types of schools based on an occasional survey. We can than use
that as ammo to go after raises if we feel we are under paid and overlooked
for raises. It's always interesting to see how the different schools handle
these positions, but showing that info in the guidelines could cause more
problems than it solves.

Scott E. Thile
Piano-Instrument Tech
Dept. of Music, Murray State University
504 Fine Arts Building, Murray, KY 42071
http://campus.murraystate.edu/staff/scott.thile/index.html
mailto:scott.thile@murraystate.edu
My Faith:
http://campus.murraystate.edu/staff/scott.thile/Christian/index.html