Value of an old steinway vertical

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Fri, 23 Apr 2004 22:17:46 +0200

Hello,

I just read your comments on the use of Epotek to repair the block, it seem
more comprehensible now .

If oversized pins have yet been employed, Epoxy will probably don't do
nothing for you,

The old block does not hold the tuning pins because the wood compression
strength around the pin migrates, leaving a somewhat deep zone with a mushy
wood, that will not stand to be crushed by oversized pins, hence the problem
we meet with old blocks and oversized pins (out of the big pins that are a
pain to tune with)

Can Epoxy bring back enough resiliency to give an acceptable tuning feel ? I
don't know, what we are after is a MOE , in fact, so is the composite
material wood + epoxy relatively flexible, the question remains open for me.

It is unfortunate, but economical facts, and the actual trend for ancient
instruments, leave us in front of untenable pianos, and owners that wish to
have them in shape without spending the money due for a real rebuild
(particularly for some ancient Erard and Pleyel here, the new block is a
prohibitive cost)

So if the instruments can be salvaged , even, temporarily with that kind of
fix, that will allow them to stay on the market, and they will value more
later, allowing the repair to be made really.

Is that point correct ?

Other ideas ?

Isaac OLEG