Value of Old Steinway Vertical

dan tassin dltassinpiano@juno.com
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 15:14:59 -0500

Ed,

Check with Ed Foote.   I think he has another old Steinway Vertical that
he might be trying to sell for Vanderbilt pretty soon, IF he hadn't sold
it already.  Real classic old Steinway. Late 1800's.   Anyone interested
will have to call him.
---------------------

About the pinblock ---   CALL  Webb Phillips.   Get his catalog.   He
sells the FalconWood Pinblock dowels that can be glued in and drilled out
for # 1  ( recommended ) or # 2 pins for restringing.    It's NOT hard at
all.   In fact, laying the piano on it's back is easier for drilling out
the holes with a drill stand over it than drilling out an new block for a
grand piano.  ( You'll have to build your own jig for drilling.)   Webb
can show and tell you how to drill the holes for the dowel plugs.
You'll have to do it in stages which involves drilling every other hole -
 top / bottom ; next note - middle only;  etc.,  then doing it ALL over
again for the holes NOT drilled the first time.  The whole process can be
done in about 1 to 2 days using his Wood Rebuilder (glue).   I love the
stuff !!

I have an old  52" Vose & Sons (1889 )  that I'm rebuilding for an
elderly (retired) customer.   It has Beautiful Cherry and Mahogany woods,
front panel carvings,  with lamination over some of the top/sides/etc.
I'm replacing  EVERYTHING but keys, frame, board, block, plate.
Completely refinishing and rebuilding inside and out.  The piano will be
valued about what she paid for it, (gift from HER mother),  rebuilding
cost, and any more she can get out of it.   However, it's been a family
heirloom since her grandmother was a little girl in the late 1800's, and
she's having it rebuilt to hand-me-down to family.   THAT's the  "real"
value to this job, and my customer knows it.

I have found that a Name on a fallboard means  NOTHING  if the piano
inside is not worth spitting at it.   An old Steinway vertical like the
one you have is only worth what the customer paid for it, and what they
paid you to rebuild it.  You do the math...

DON'T  CUT  CORNERS !!!    DO  IT  ALL CORRECTLY  THE  FIRST  TIME !!

A complete rebuild on an old Steinway vertical like that you have would
be worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $6000  to  $8000 .....
depending on how much you charge ??

Don't do it cheap.   Your time is worth EVERY penny you charge.

D.L.Tassin, RPT