Value of an old steinway vertical

Hans E Sander hesand01@louisville.edu
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 10:12:10 -0400

I use the same for split or cracked bridge pin holes and to fill capstan =
screw holes in keys. Mix 2 parts EPO-TEK 301-2 (Filler) with 1 part =
EPO-TEK 301-2 (Hardener) and if you want, mix in their (I don't remember =
the name) light brown fiber cellulose for wooden color. This Epoxy doesn't =
come cheap and there will be an added charge for shipping hazardous =
materials. The shelf life is only 6 months.
=20
Hans Sander, RPT=20

>>> llafargue@charter.net 4/22/2004 9:13:03 AM >>>

I'm pressed for time this morning, but*Epoxy Technology 1-800-227-2201.  =
Boston.  It is a water thin (really water thin) epoxy you mix by weight.  =
Put piano on it's back (upright) and using a hair squeeze bottle, =
inject/pour the epoxy into the open tuning pin holes.  As it fills the =
holes it also fills laminate separations and any cracks.  Unless you have =
some huge void, it fills them pretty quickly and you fill each hole to the =
top.  After drying you drill the holes out using a hand drill set at =
proper angle using a bubble level attached to the top of drill.  You will =
find the drill follows the hole pretty well.  EPOTEK may still have a =
handout for this procedure and specifics.  I have a copy somewhere in my =
shop.  I have used this on old pianos where the block could not be removed =
or it was not practical financially or otherwise.  The pins feel nice and =
snug and very smooth and consistent.  Let me know if you can't get the =
info needed.   Lance Lafargue, RPTLAFARGUE PIANOSNew Orleans Chapter, =
PTG985.72P.IANOllafargue@charter.net