troublesome rep.spring adj. (was Baldwin warranty / 743 question)

Mon, 19 Apr 2004 21:09:14 +0200

Mark Cramer wrote:

>I've run into this more frequently with Yamaha actions, Otto.
>
>With rep.springs set; "mild," the jack will not fully return during a lever
>height "wink" test.
>
>To clarify we're talking about the same thing; the spring setting easily
>passes the "smooth/immediate rise out of check" test, however, the rep.lever
>can be raised 3 or 4 mm (1/8" plus) above, and the jack will still not
>return fully under the knuckle, when released slowly.
>
>I don't like this situation either, but in such cases resort to setting rep.
>lever height by spec. rather than feel (via the jack tender), and trust all
>works as it should during actual playing conditions.
>
>So what actually causes this?

Mark... a few thoughts...

If you are lowering the rep-lever spring tension then sometimes you need
to back off just a rat tails hair on your jack top height to keep the
jack capable of zipping back under the knuckle.  The thing is on actions
with a single spring for both the jack return and rep-lever what you do
to one you do to both.  So if you lower rep-spring strength then you
have two factors that move against the jack getting back under the
knuckle as quickly as you might like.  First, the lever itself wont
support quite the same weight which increases the <<bearing>> on the
lever by the knuckle.  On a borderline adjustment this can hang the jack
top up on the knuckle.  Secondly the jack itself isnt pulled back as
strong as before.

A couple obvioius tricks is to pin the replever tight and jack loose so
that you can get away with a higher rep lever spring strength to begin
with.  You can aslo pin the hammershanks as tight as you can get away
with to maximize the effect. The backside here tho is that you can
easily end up with a realllllly strong back pull on jack which in turn
can really bang into the stop pad.

My best advise is to  not dink around too awfully much with standard
pinnings, and make sure you have decent friction values all the way
around. Make especially sure of your knuckle condition. Teflon powder
applied with a used number 80 hammer works wonders, but if the knuckles
are worn and malformed then you are bound to have some troubles. If you
must have a really low rep-lever spring strength... then be ready to
accept reduced repetition. That said.... under usual play many techs are
suprised to find out just how low strength you can easily get away with
while maintaining more then adequate playing repetition.

Hope this helps a bit... tho no doubt you've thought of much of this
already. :)

Cheers
RicB