troublesome rep.spring adj. (was Baldwin warranty / 743 question)

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.CA
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 15:22:21 -0500

  The thing is on actions
with a single spring for both the jack return and rep-lever what you do
to one you do to both.  So if you lower rep-spring strength then you
have two factors that move against the jack getting back under the
knuckle as quickly as you might like.  First, the lever itself wont
support quite the same weight which increases the <<bearing>> on the
lever by the knuckle.  On a borderline adjustment this can hang the jack
top up on the knuckle.  Secondly the jack itself isnt pulled back as
strong as before.

Like many of you, I hold fast to LaRoy's "big 3" before regulation:

"are the hammers off the rail, have you got drop, and have you got rep.
spring tension?

Much as I would like to race through these, a question I've added to my
notes is "one spring or two?"

If the answer is one, then rather than merely confirm spring tension, I am
going to adjust it, (as in "light-as-functional") right now.

And rather than just confirm there "is" drop, I'm likely going to dial it up
pretty close too,.. and probably rough in the checking (you know why) and
all of this even before step #1 on the regulating check list.

I know this may sound like a lot of work up-front, but in the circumstance
described earlier, it certainly saves trouble later on.

And by the way, I will give creedence to the remarks from both yourself and
Ed regarding balancier pinning, next time I encounter this problem.

thanks!

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University