troublesome rep.spring adj. (was Baldwin warranty / 743 question)

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.CA
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:46:52 -0500

I've run into this more frequently with Yamaha actions, Otto.

With rep.springs set; "mild," the jack will not fully return during a lever
height "wink" test.

To clarify we're talking about the same thing; the spring setting easily
passes the "smooth/immediate rise out of check" test, however, the rep.lever
can be raised 3 or 4 mm (1/8" plus) above, and the jack will still not
return fully under the knuckle, when released slowly.

I don't like this situation either, but in such cases resort to setting rep.
lever height by spec. rather than feel (via the jack tender), and trust all
works as it should during actual playing conditions.

So what actually causes this?

(BTW, I've encountered this more often with lighter-than-original hammers.)

Last April, Denis and I tried to puzzle this through on an older C-3.
Re-pinning the lever flanges seemed to help. On the way back from Dallas
last June, Roger J. and Paul Chick seemed to lean in this direction also.

Bill Spurlock on the other hand suggested the rate (relating to wire guage,
coil, etc.) of the springs is closely engineered to match the weight of
hammers, providing a wide range of effective adjustments. Major changes in
hammer weight however, take the springs outside their "predictable" range of
adjustment/response.

I can see both having a factor, in that firm pinning (this center needn't be
as free as the others) in the rep. lever will have a moderating effect on
the action of the rep. spring.

Anyone else?

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University