Strings riding up (was Tuning stability)

Thu, 08 Apr 2004 21:37:33 -0400

At 01:14 PM 4/8/2004 -0500, Ron wrote:

(Italicized portion reinserted by ds)

>>>My experience with our D was a definite perceptible improvement in
>>>sustain, power, and clarity to some notes from taping once
>>>judiciously/gently down on every bridge pin in the killer octave.   On
>>>some strings, the tuning pitch dropped three or more BPS, on others it
>>>had no affect.
>>>
>>>-Mike Jorgensen
>>
>>By tapping the pins, you effectively seated the strings with the rough
>>equivalent of a 20 pound weight courtesy of the friction from the offset
>>angle. Yes, I expect it did sound cleaner.
>>
>>Ron N

DS
>>So we know it can work sometimes. Maybe the pin moved down, dragging the
>>string along.  Maybe the shock of the tap overcame friction of the
>>abraded and notched pin, to allow the string to return to its more
>>neutral position.  We don't know which of the numerous scenarios we have
>>recently discussed is active in this piano.
>RN
>No, we don't know EXACTLY and COMPLETELY what is happening in any
>situation - ever.

Why get existentialist on me?  I continue to ask that, in the absence of
some sort of proof, theories be acknowledged as such.  What I meant by
"numerous scenarios" was the circumstances of the piano...bearing, notched
pins, etc.  I just wanted to allow that some other effect than dragging the
strings down to the bridge surface could be taking place.

>>Ron has, at various times, seemed to accept tapping as a solution, and at
>>other times, not.
>
>No, I haven't, regardless of what you appear to feel I seem to have
>implied that I might have meant. Tapping is not a solution, and I have
>never said it was. I have also never said that it wasn't a possible short
>term improvement of a tonal problem. What I have repeatedly said is that
>it doesn't fix the problem. It just masks the symptoms. What I have been
>apparently miserably unsuccessful in attempting to describe is what I
>think is really happening, based on my understanding of physics,
>observable evidence, and logic. I have tried to present it in as
>straightforward and unambiguous a manner as I can, in as much detail as I
>have worked out to my satisfaction, and in connection with as many other
>surrounding and extenuating factors as I can connect. That's the best I can do.

My apologies in reverting to my imprecise usage.  I didn't mean "solution",
rather, a temporary abatement of the offending symptoms.  For clarity (of
others) I'll requote (again) from a previous post:

>You choose to ridicule me here.  You left out the quotes I felt were
>inconsistent.  I'll repeat them:

>>>I do care about the string contact with the front of the bridge, but I
>>>do not agree that tapping the pin will achieve that end. That's the
>>>whole point of all this. If the string isn't contacting the notch edge,
>>>it's for a reason that tapping neither string, nor pin will cure.

>>>Wimblees:
>>>Ron N:
>>>Partly, but I think mostly dragging the string down with the pin to the
>>>notch edge.
>>
>>and
>>>WimB
>>>RonN
>>>Or seating the string by proxy?
>
>You are telling me that you do not believe that tapping either the pin or
>the string will cure the lack of notch edge contact, but, in response to
>Wim, you at least imply that that is exactly what is being done. You may
>not be able to explain it, but you shouldn't place the responsibility for
>the confusion on me.

I should not have used "solution: or "cure".

>>My continued discomfort with these kinds of questions (or observations)
>>and answers (or explanations) is that both are too general to allow the
>>relevant subtleties to be appreciated, or retained.
>>
>>David Skolnik
>
>Then you're just going to have to find yourself an expert that can answer
>your questions. I've given you what I have.

Mike's observations were perfectly relevant.  They just lacked enough
detail to add much insight.  I didn't intend to be demeaning.

I would express my appreciation for what you've given much more often,
except when I did, you told me you didn't want to be stroked.  So, maybe
once every two weeks I'll just mildly hint at it.

David Skolnik