Strings riding up (was Tuning stability)

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Thu, 08 Apr 2004 13:14:13 -0500

>So we know it can work sometimes. Maybe the pin moved down, dragging the
>string along.  Maybe the shock of the tap overcame friction of the abraded
>and notched pin, to allow the string to return to its more neutral
>position.  We don't know which of the numerous scenarios we have recently
>discussed is active in this piano.

No, we don't know EXACTLY and COMPLETELY what is happening in any situation
- ever.

>Ron has, at various times, seemed to accept tapping as a solution, and at
>other times, not.

No, I haven't, regardless of what you appear to feel I seem to have implied
that I might have meant. Tapping is not a solution, and I have never said
it was. I have also never said that it wasn't a possible short term
improvement of a tonal problem. What I have repeatedly said is that it
doesn't fix the problem. It just masks the symptoms. What I have been
apparently miserably unsuccessful in attempting to describe is what I think
is really happening, based on my understanding of physics, observable
evidence, and logic. I have tried to present it in as straightforward and
unambiguous a manner as I can, in as much detail as I have worked out to my
satisfaction, and in connection with as many other surrounding and
extenuating factors as I can connect. That's the best I can do.

>My continued discomfort with these kinds of questions (or observations)
>and answers (or explanations) is that both are too general to allow the
>relevant subtleties to be appreciated, or retained.
>
>David Skolnik

Then you're just going to have to find yourself an expert that can answer
your questions. I've given you what I have.

Ron N