Strings riding up (was Tuning stability)

Thu, 08 Apr 2004 13:30:32 -0400

The following was Ron Nossman's response to Mike Jorgenson

At 10:48 AM 4/8/2004 -0500, Ron Nossman wrote:

>>My experience with our D was a definite perceptible improvement in
>>sustain, power, and clarity to some notes from taping once
>>judiciously/gently down on every bridge pin in the killer octave.   On
>>some strings, the tuning pitch dropped three or more BPS, on others it
>>had no affect.
>>
>>-Mike Jorgensen
>
>By tapping the pins, you effectively seated the strings with the rough
>equivalent of a 20 pound weight courtesy of the friction from the offset
>angle. Yes, I expect it did sound cleaner.
>
>Ron N

So we know it can work sometimes. Maybe the pin moved down, dragging the
string along.  Maybe the shock of the tap overcame friction of the abraded
and notched pin, to allow the string to return to its more neutral
position.  We don't know which of the numerous scenarios we have recently
discussed is active in this piano.  Ron has, at various times, seemed to
accept tapping as a solution, and at other times, not.  My continued
discomfort with these kinds of questions (or observations) and answers (or
explanations) is that both are too general to allow the relevant subtleties
to be appreciated, or retained.

David Skolnik