Fred's S&S tour (was: Pinning and Tone)

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.CA
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 12:48:17 -0600

Congratulations on your Steinway trip Fred.

I was there in June. I remember lunch with Earl from the dampers department,
and I remember discussing cabinet-racking (Boston studio pianos) with their
R&D person over lunch (though too have misplaced her name),  and I remember
the guy you are referring to, whom I believe's recent background was in
water-pump manufacture!? And I remember the eggplant-parmesan sandwiches and
the oven-fresh biscotti... but why can't I remember the guy's name?

This seems to be the "current" in manufacturing BTW, (seemingly disparate
backgrounds, not memory loss) it is not about your specific training or
previous employment. It is about trainability, problem-solving/peoples
skills, and it is mostly about ATTITUDE.

What impressed me most about this guy then (and his amazing accomplishments
are a "close second")was the fact he was able to get everyone from
"bean-counters to back-check benders" moving in the same direction! I
believe they have gone from about a 40% failure rate on flange manufacture
down to 2 or 3%. Amazing!

Those round-table discussions over lunch (between all the tours, and the
actual "work") were a great hilight of the trip as well. For those of you
wondering, Eric Schandall collared a variety of interesting from both the
factory floor and the various supporting departments to host discussions
with us over lunch. Not a moment wasted!

And I agree with you thoroughly Fred about time spent on the factory floor.
There's five life-times of experience worn into those floor-boards.

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

time (1994), and was in
the process of replacing the fancy machines , reorganizing the work flow
people putting together  so they can be in easy communication and get
feedback. Having financial incentives for
everyone to be cross trained....
   I could spend months hanging out in the factory and never experience a
moment's boredom. Fascinating place.<<<<<
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico