Pinning and Tone

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:01:28 -0700

Hi Mary,
	Sounds like the one. Very passionate about quality and process. I made a
jocular remark when he was first introduced as being in charge of quality
control for the whole factory, saying something along the lines of how I
guessed the factory folks were on their toes when he walked through, and he
launched into a sermon on the notion that we were all a team working
towards the same goal. Very charismatic guy.
	BTW, another thing that really struck me in the parts section of the
factory, having to do with organization of tasks, was that the "cells"
really went from start to almost finish. IOW, damper underlevers went from
moldings, felt, springs to finished assemblies with spaced and travelled
underlevers. Similarly, the shanks, hammers and wipps areas went from the
same starting point to action frames with hammers hung and spaced (to jigs
corresponding to engineered string spacing) and pretty well pre-travelled.
So the lowly flange busher is either rubbing shoulders with the traveller
and spacer, or is the same person. Not just making a part to put in a box
to send elsewhere, but seeing how it works, and responsible for making it
work (to a point).
	Another result is that the "finish" folks (the ones who do increasingly
final regulation, voicing, etc) start with a pretty nice foundation - an
action already assembled, and within fairly fine specs. So that "circles of
refinement" are built into the system.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

--On Tuesday, October 28, 2003 8:34 AM -0600 Mary Smith