Pinning and Tone

Jim Busby jim_busby@byu.edu
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 10:51:12 -0700

Fred,

Absolutely! That is what I found. But, has the radius changed? (tail) My
new Steinways from 2 months ago had a very sharp radius which I also
changed with a few quick strokes of the paddle. That seemed to give more
surface area and needs less roughing up in the long run. Did they indeed
make that change?

Eric Schandall suggested clamping the shanks and do quick grinding
(sanding with drill tool or similar) of all the tails to make a better
radius since if you do each individually it is less uniform and more
time consuming.

Thanks,
Jim Busby BYU

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Fred Sturm
Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2003 9:12 AM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: RE: Pinning and Tone

--On Tuesday, October 28, 2003 8:08 AM -0700 Jim Busby
<jim_busby@byu.edu>
wrote:

> Richard,
>
> This is exactly what started this thread, and after my visit with Eric
> Schandall and repinning to 4 grams with higher checking things are
> working wonderfully. Fred said 1-3 grams, but Eric told me "No less
than
> 2, no more than 4". Also, they are making the tails a bit longer and
> want higher checking. It doesn't hurt repetition. It helps it. The key
> seems to be to pay careful attention to the rep spring strength. No
> bouncing, jerking, etc. but a firm rise w/o a jump.
>
> Jim Busby BYU

Yes,I think high checking is the key. What we were told was "as high as
possible", meaning just missing dragging on up stroke. And with current
factory tail radius and check angle, 3/8" is the norm (used to be hard
get 5/8 with the "bad old days" tail shape and length, and check
geometry).
My own take is that if I have a problem with checking, I'd rather live
with
it than compromise on let-off or drop. Scuff the tails more often, keep
the
rep spring maybe a tad weaker (in terms of perceived rapidity of rise)
than
I might otherwise. If you have high checking, even if piano/pianissimo
check isn't very reliable, it won't be troublesome to the pianist. Not
nearly as much as increased drop, IMO.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico