Pinning and Tone

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 11:28:22 -0700

Jim,
	It looked like there was a single, smooth radius on the tails, lacking the
bump that I have seen on most un-rebuilt Steinways I have serviced over the
years. I didn't put a compass on it, but it looked like a smooth arc. I
didn't see it being done, but it appeared that a set of hammers, I think
already hung (must have been) was clamped together in a fixture and
machined. I was told they were using a 4 1/2" radius, but the source for
this wasn't absolutely sure. What I saw did look like a bit larger radius
than I use (I use 3 - 3 1/2"). I was told the larger radius worked in
relationship with the backcheck angle. A bend in the backcheck wires (done
by a precise fixture about half way up the wire) puts them at 68 degrees.
Hearing all this, I was a bit skeptical, but regulating an action, it
worked like a charm.
	Like you, I have often found myself scuffing the bump off tails (and
wanting to take the action home and re-radius - doing that fairly often) in
an attempt to get check distance above 3/4", and to have reliable checking.
They are also placing check height higher (ie, the top of the check in
relationship to the key), and have longer tails on the hammers.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

--On Tuesday, October 28, 2003 10:51 AM -0700 Jim Busby <jim_busby@byu.edu>