Pinning and Tone

Alan McCoy amccoy@mail.ewu.edu
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:29:30 -0700

MessageThanks Don,

In part what I am trying to get at here is distinguishing between friction
and firmness in the bushing. Can you hear the tonal difference between a
note that has a friction problem vs one that has a firmness problem?

My normal procedure in reconditioning an action includes checking action
center friction, duh, and I check side to side play gang-style checking for
winking hammers, but I'm looking around to see if someone has figured out a
way to systematically check for both friction and firmness in an efficient
way (ie without painstakingly removing every flange!!)

Alan

PS Bob, Sending them to Marcia is cheating! :-)   Hope things are great down
there in Modesto.
  -----Original Message-----
  From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf Of Don
Mannino
  Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 8:11 AM
  To: caut@ptg.org
  Subject: FW: Pinning and Tone

  Alan,

  The tone of the piano can be the best gauge, as poor pinning has a pretty
distinctive sound to it.  I would describe it as a thin and weak tone.
Checking the friction level in a thin sounding note, repinning it, and
listening will tell you a lot.

  Experience is the best teacher here.  I don't have a specification to tell
you, except firm enough by feel and a good solid tone by ear.  I suppose the
engineers could give you a spec, though.  X amount of deflection with Y
amount of force applied Z distance from the pin.

  Don Mannino