FW: Pinning and Tone

Don Mannino dmannino@kawaius.com
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 08:10:54 -0700

Alan,
=20
The tone of the piano can be the best gauge, as poor pinning has a
pretty distinctive sound to it.  I would describe it as a thin and weak
tone.  Checking the friction level in a thin sounding note, repinning
it, and listening will tell you a lot.
=20
Experience is the best teacher here.  I don't have a specification to
tell you, except firm enough by feel and a good solid tone by ear.  I
suppose the engineers could give you a spec, though.  X amount of
deflection with Y amount of force applied Z distance from the pin.
=20
Don Mannino
=20
-----Original Message-----
From: Alan McCoy [mailto:amccoy@mail.ewu.edu]=20
Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 1:24 PM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: RE: Pinning and Tone

Hi Bob,
=20
Well OK. Thing of it is, do you know the specs here. How much deflection
per how much side pressure? I'm guessing that the only test people
really use to check side play is the old screwdriver blade, or brass
rod, under the shanks gang style to check for winking hammers indicating
a loose center pin bushing. This is a good test, but it is neither
definitive nor quantitative, right? Also, whether a loose center shows
up on this test depends in part on how smooth the rod is as well as how
loose a bushing is.=20
=20
Do you have a different method to test for firmness of bushings?
=20
Alan McCoy