Steinway "pinning" dilemma - friction drop after pinning (fwd)

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 16:55:55 -0600

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Date: Monday, October 13, 2003 7:07 AM +0200
From: Isaac sur Noos <oleg-i@noos.fr>
To: fssturm@unm.edu
Subject: RE: Steinway "pinning" dilemma - friction drop after pinning

Fred,

In europe, these center pins "fils de centre" where the usual material
used for repinning jobs. I am surprized they don't exist in USA, the
factory may have been machine pinning very early there.

The short pins we use appears in the 60' and everybody find them very
convenient (easier to have it in the field, less physical to pass the
thru the birdseye) but they primarly came from machine pinning.

But the long original material is yet sold and is used by the best
shops and repair facility.

I can order mine at Renner's, Jahnn, Baumgartel, or even in France,
and more, they are cheaper than the 100 parts pouches of center pins
sold actually.

As every size is availeable, they made very convenient reamers,
burnishers, etc. In fact when I learned reamers where made with a
lenght of those center pins, roughened on a little place under 2 files
(and every one use these kind of reamers in France yet today)

I did not new Don Mannino was saying the same instructions with its
broaches, I thought they where sold with a handle on them.

I was suspecting you did not have those long center pins for some
time, but was not sure.

Ask Renner to import them, these are very useful material : size is 60
cm in fact, they are sold approx 0.9 ? (or$) each, that is cheaper if
you do a lot of pinning.
Once you get use to them, they are veery fast and accurate. because of
the lenght, indeed some (light) force is necessary to pull them thru
the parts, but the use of the "pinning plank" helps to be in a
comfortable position.

Have a nice day, I have to go now !
Did you receive the picture ?

I'll keep you posted for the Caut document.

Greetings

P.S Please update my Email adress to oleg-i@noos.fr (ISP change)
thanks

Isaac OLEG