Pinning and Tone

James Ellis claviers@nxs.net
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 09:29:09 -0400

I have been reading these posts about the effect of center-pinning on tone.
 Has anyone done any definitive tests to actually measure the effect -
i.e., with a three-dimensional spectrum analyzer, for example, where
absolutely nothing is changed except the pinning?  This is an interesting
subject, but one where speculation and subjective opinions need to be
replaced with actual measurements.  The first step should be to MEASURE how
much difference it actually makes.  The next step, and the HARD one, should
be to measure minute hammer and string motions at the time of impact, and
figure out HOW and WHY it happens.  I'm trying to figure out how I would do
this.  I do have some ideas, but they aren't firmed up yet.  Is there
anyone within 250 miles of Oak Ridge, Tennessee who is into this particular
study?

Jim Ellis, RPT