performance piano policies

Wolfley, Eric (wolfleel) WOLFLEEL@UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 16:35:56 -0400

Our performance pianos are reserved for dress rehearsals, master classes and
performances only and access to them is regulated as strictly as is
possible. We have six performance venues which helps keep the pressure off
of any one instrument though some do manage to get played 8 hours a day.
Each recitalist is allowed two 1.5 hour dress rehearsals before their
recital. We used to try to keep some pianos locked but have been having
better success (and far fewer hassles) monitoring the halls. Its hard to
tell if people have been sneaking in there after hours but there haven't
been any major problems with this in quite a while. Our two main stages have
close circuit video monitors which help ensure cooperation from the
students. Be sure to lobby hard for tuning or maintenance time daily.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Eric Wolfley
Head Piano Technician
Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music
University of Cincinnati
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-----Original Message-----
From: Alan McCoy [mailto:amccoy@mail.ewu.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2003 4:05 PM
To: CAUTlist
Subject: performance piano policies

Hi,

We are revisiting our policy regarding use of our performance pianos. I am
curious as to what other schools policies are in this regard. That is, do
you keep your pianos under tight lock and key available to only piano
majors, rehearsal only, open to all, etc? This will be the first time for me
to engage in specific conversation with our faculty about this, but I am
sure my predecessor did work out some kind of policy. Any thoughts or
suggestions?

Thanks.

Alan