Steinway "pinning" dilemma

Don Mannino dmannino@kawaius.com
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 07:56:21 -0700

Hey Fred (and list),

I sort of figured you were putting more friction there in compensation
for conditions.  They should not loosen up as much as you said, though -
an average of .5 gram resistance drop in hammer flanges after 20,000
keystrokes is what I found when testing the process.  If the cloth isn't
very good that could make it worse, or if the broaches are too rough.

On the next repinning job you do on parts that are not too old, try
using only a 2 foot long stretch of music wire to burnish only.  Just
sharpen an end, then drag each part over the long wire.  If you are not
having to change the pin size up more than .001, then this burnishing
can be enough to create a firm and stable center with low friction (2 -
4 grams), even under heavy use.

The rough broaches you received were not made correctly - they sound
like the ones APSCO was selling, which were wrong and did not follow my
design.  You should not continue to use them - they should be trashed.

Schaff is making the sets with 8 broaches now, the smallest is .048 and
the larges .055.  These have been available for a couple of years now.
Be sure to run the broach onto the part all the way to the handle, so
that the rough area simply scuffs by the bushing as you run it on and
off.

I agree, the handles don't need to be as big as Schaff makes them, but I
sort of like the shape of them.

Don